Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Camo and Combat Boots

My Navy reserve detachment's headquarters unit has a new commanding officer, which means, among other things that my unit now runs around in camo and combat boots rather than uniforms on drill weekends. I had been holding out, hoping the US government would give me cammies for free, but it was not to be. I was informed that officers would have to purchase their own. I duly went to the uniform shop and bought enough camouflage to get me and my post-pregnant body through the weekend. Because our unit is now more operationally-focused, we're participating in a four-day evolution in April with a Seabees unit. By keeping my ears open and my mouth shut, I learned some new terminology ("evolution," for example). Thus, thanks to the HQ unit's new CO, I now know what a Camelbak is. That's important. What if I had shown up with a canteen?

No comments: