Sunday, July 20, 2008

Babywearing: The New... Oh, Wait. It's Old.

I think the recent trend toward "babywearing" and "attachment parenting" has mostly blown over my head, or flitted by me, or something, undoubtedly while I was changing diapers, nursing, or working on my Master's. However, I had a sling that I used all the time when Ethan was little. I still use it from time to time. I like slings. I liked being able to stick Ethan in one, and nurse, and make dinner at the same time. Slowly, of course, but surely. All this multitasking (in my case) and attachment parenting (in other cases) is seen as some new thing. I've seen authors of websites attack the idea of wearing your baby as if it's some new American fad. As if it's better to let little Johnny go off and be independent by himself just because he's growing up in American suburbia and his mommy doesn't work in a cane field. They seem to forget that women in other cultures have been wearing their babies for years... for millennia, really, that it works well, and that is a normal and natural thing for a mother to do who wants to take care of her baby and take care of other business as well. Does it really matter whether that business is in a Central American jungle or an air-conditioned North American house?

In that spirit, I'm posting a link to this contest: Win the Essential Babywearing Stash from Along for the Ride (one Beco Butterfly, one Hotsling baby pouch, one BabyHawk Mei Tai, one Zolowear Ring Sling, and one Gypsy Mama Wrap). If I win, several of my lovely pregnant friends should rejoice at the gifting potential, and I will, too, because I have wanted to try some of these slings myself, before passing them on (possibly).

No comments: